Quotes of Bertrand Russell on Success and Happiness
Is ‘True Success’ an essay by Bertrand Russell? It is a very contradictory question. To answer this question is a very difficult task. I tried my best to search the answer of this question. By this search I came to know that ‘True Success’ is not any independent piece of work. It is not a particular essay by Bertrand Russell. It seems that Bertrand Russell has not written a particular essay entitled 'True Success'. His ideas on this issue are spread across his various writings and lectures. His thought on this subject is a recurring theme in his world of writing. Russell’s ideas on this topic can be found in his works like The Conquest of Happiness, The Problems of Philosophy and The Value of Philosophy.
Bertrand Russell is a very popular British philosopher, logician, and mathematician. He is appreciated for his work in the foundations of mathematics, logic, and the theory of knowledge. He is considered one of the founders of analytic philosophy. He is regarded as one of the most significant philosophers of the 20th century. He is a prominent political activist too. He played a prominent role in the anti-war and anti-nuclear movements of the mid-20th century. He was an ardent supporter of peace, women's rights, civil liberties and social justice. He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1950 for his contributions to social and political thought.
Some important Quotes of Bertrand Russell on Success and Happiness:
01. I do not deny that the feeling of success makes it easier to enjoy life…. Nor do I deny that money, up to a certain point, is very capable of increasing happiness. - Bertrand Russell
02. What I do maintain is that success can only be one ingredient in happiness, and is too dearly purchased if all the other ingredients have been sacrificed to obtain it. - Bertrand Russell
03. What people mean by the struggle for life is really the struggle for success. What people fear when they engage in the struggle is not that they will fail to get their breakfast next morning, but that they will fail to outshine their neighbours. - Bertrand Russell
04. Unless a man has been taught what to do with success after getting it, the achievement of it must inevitably leave him a prey to boredom. - Bertrand Russell
05. Anything you're good at contributes to happiness. - Bertrand Russell
06. The secret to happiness is to face the fact that the world is horrible. - Bertrand Russell
07. Do not feel envious of the happiness of those who live in a fool's paradise, for only a fool will think that is happiness. - Bertrand Russell
08. If all our happiness is bound up entirely in our personal circumstances it is difficult not to demand of life more than it has to give. - Bertrand Russell
09. Of all forms of caution, caution in love is perhaps the most fatal to true happiness. - Bertrand Russell
10. To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness. - Bertrand Russell
11. The secret of happiness is this: let your interests be as wide as possible, and let your reactions to the things and persons that interest you be as far as possible friendly rather than hostile. - Bertrand Russell